Energy Education in the Community
Engineers Week is a global engineering education initiative that promotes math, science and technological literacy; encourages students to consider engineering careers; and raises awareness of engineers’ positive contributions to society.
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is a sponsoring society of Engineers Week and hopes to attract bright young people to the exciting world of engineering. Many of SPE’s local sections use Energy4me to bring Engineers Week to their communities through activities such as:
- Giving classroom presentations – Jeopardy PowerPoint Presentation
- Organizing student tours of interesting engineering achievements in the community
- Sponsoring a teacher workshop
- Judging local Future City™ competitions
- Offering art or essay contests for students on the importance of engineering
- Purchasing Oil and Natural Gas books and Energy4me Kits to donate to schools
- Holding “Introduce a Girl to Engineering” events
- Hosting “Engineer for a Day” programs in which high school students shadow engineers for one day
- Presenting annual engineering scholarships awards banquets
- Teaming with other organizations in your community for an expanded outreach
Need ideas to get started? Check out the Engineers Week website for tips to jump start your Engineers Week celebration with special programs like “Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day” and National Engineers Week Future City™ Competition.
Earth Science Week
Earth Science Week is an international event held each October to help the public gain a better understanding and appreciation for the earth sciences and to encourage stewardship of the Earth. Energy4me supports Earth Science Week by providing classroom experiments for the Earth Science Week annual calendar and a toolkit for teachers.
SPE sections and members can get involved too by donating Energy4me’s educational materials to schools or teachers in your area, visiting earth science classes or hosting geology-related field trips. Visit www.earthsciweek.org to learn more ways to get involved.
Museums play an important role in educating young people and the public about science and energy. Energy4me provides museum kits to institutes developing or expanding their energy education outreach to the local community. Ideas include:
- Half-day teacher development workshops with tour of museum energy exhibits
- Youth events for pre-university students to spark their interest in science
- Book donations for visitor programming
- Interview-style engineering career videos
- Collaboration on energy exhibit or activities development
For more information about museum kits, Contact Us.